When my husband and I first married, we had more time than money, so much of our gift-giving consisted of poems and short stories we wrote for one another.
I guess old habits die hard, because we still fall back on handwritten gifts from time to time. Since Father’s Day is just around the corner, I thought I’d publish another poem I wrote in bygone days to honor my sweet husband, and all godly fathers like him:
“A righteous man, who walks in his integrity — how blessed are his sons after him.” (Proverbs 20:7)
A Hero in the Making
Our little one is watching–
Can’t you see it in his eyes?
How he brightens at the sight of you
With happy, wild surprise?
Yes, our little one is watching,
He sees everything you do,
And he’s mimicking your actions
Trying hard to be like you.
Our little one is listening–
He hears every word you say,
Perks up whene’er he hears your voice,
No matter time of day.
Yes, our little one is listening.
And your words, they sink in deep.
They encourage, they inspire him,
And they echo in his sleep.
Our little one is following,
And he shadows every move,
Watching close for your reaction–
How he hopes that you’ll approve!
Yes, our little one is following–
And I thank the Lord above
For your wise and good example,
Your devotion and your love.
Our little one’s believing–
You’re a hero in his eyes,
And he knows that he can trust you
Like he knows the sun will rise.
Yes, our little one’s believing–
God protect his tender heart,
For he’ll view his Heav’nly Father
As he’s seen you from the start.
– Jennifer Flanders
More Father’s Day Freebies
For more ideas (and lots of free printables) for honoring Dad, check out these links:
- Father’s Day Worksheets – perfect for young children to fill out for Dad
- A Prayer for Fathers – free printable prayer guide to use all year long
- Free Printable Coupon Book – great last-minute gift idea for Dad
- Do Father’s Matter? – synopsis of a fantastic book full of sobering statistics
- A Hero in the Making – a poem I wrote in honor of fathers everywhere
- Father’s Day Coloring Page – I love the verse that forms the basis of this free printable
- Mighty and Blessed – one last coloring page honoring godly men
That is so beautiful and meaningful. The perfect gift for my hero. Thank you very much for sharing.
Jennifer Flanders says
Thanks for the encouragement… and you’re very welcome!
Wow, that is an amazing poem! I love it that you gave that as a gift to your husband!